09 September 2009

Townsville Crew - I See You!

Townsville blog crew stand up!

It's been a while since your boys have hit far North Queensland. Looking forward to it, too. Especially playing long side Low Budget & KillaQueenz. Should be a good night.

I'm really interested in seeing Empire of the Sun perform. Their videos, music and style are something else. I mean, I probably wouldn't buy their music, but I do appreciate their vision. They're pretty much killing it at the moment. 

Lead singer, Luke Steele, is on Jay-Z's new album, The Blueprint 3. I mean, Jay-Z?!?! C'mooon man. You're pretty much set when you've been co-signed by one of the biggest names in not only hip hop, but music in general. How did Hov hear 'em in the first place? On an episode of 'Entourage', that's how. Bloody hell. Can it get much bigger???

But hold up! The merry-go-round doesn't stop there folks. Cos not only has Mr. S Dot co-signed 'em, but Martin Louie the King Jr, has also given them the royal thumbs up too. Uhuh... Kanye West has posted one of their videos up on his blog. Wow. That's some crazy endorsements right there.

So why the love? Dunno exactly. But I'm sure it has to do with the novelty factor. To Jay and Ye, I'm sure they are a fresh and exciting sound. And look. Yeah... definitely 'look'. Hehe. But it's a win / win for everyone here. We got two of the biggest names in music recognising some top local talent and we have some local talent reaching out to the world. 

Do I think Jay and Ye would work with an Australian hip hop artist? Hmmm... the likely answer would be 'no'. I reckon they could/ would work with an Australian hip hop producer though. I just think the accent clash would be too great. And you know, America have most of the best MCs there (I know some of you may disagree with that one) so it may be the case of 'trying to sell ice back to the Eskimos'. But then again, they did work with MIA and Jay did sign Lady Sovereign to Def Jam once (how did that go, Jay?). So... meh. I hope I get proved wrong.

Far out... I was meant to be blogging about the festival. Ahhh well. You can see the pic. Be there or be square. It's the ROC!


3 comments:

beeso said...

Hey boys was thinking about you guys from The Alley days and Aussie hip hop in general when I was talking to some American friends the other day. I could listen to you or Len and lazy or bias all day but just can't get into the American rap like JayZ or Kayne. I just feel that they have no flow or bounce. I can see why the Americans wouldn't want an Aussie mc. Except for one group. I reckon ugly duckling could pull it off.

Tom said...

Jay Z? No Flow? NO BOUNCE? You are listening to Jay Z, right?

Finally, some fucking quality acts coming to Townsville. Can't wait to see you there!

Hauie said...

What's up boys. Yeah, I can see what you're saying Beeso. I see you can relate to people such as Bias and Lazy (who happens to be one of my fav MCs in Aus) and that's cool. But I gotta agree with Tom. Jay Z has a stupid bounce (as in 'mad'...haha). One of the best. But yeah, guess it all comes down to taste.

Thanks for reading and responding. Kudos to both of you.